The Union Jack dress

Andreas

Well, she did wear an updated Union Jack dress at the Return of the Spice Girls tour in 2007/2008.

Rumour has it they approached the owner of Hard Rock Cafe to borrow the original, but he apparently turned them down.

Fun fact: did you know there was made a Union Jack dress for Geri to wear during the Spice World Tour in 1998, but she decided not to wear it. It was longer, less daring than the original one. It was a prize in a competition in the official magazine.

Andreas

I loved the modernised Union Jack dress from 2007 :love: Obviously not as iconic as the original one, but it was still awesome in its own right. With those shoes.

I actually think Geri would look a bit silly wearing the original dress now. Some things belongs to a certain time.

It would look really silly having another one on stage, she can't wear the UJ every time she gets on stage with the girls. It must be something subtle like the Olympics one.

Well, the one from the return was fine because it was a homage. They recreated their 90s looks during that section of the show, so it made sense, but it would have been embarrassing to wore it in the Olympics.

Well, the one from the return was fine because it was a homage. They recreated their 90s looks during that section of the show, so it made sense, but it would have been embarrassing to wore it in the Olympics.
Yeah. For that reason I think Return’s should had been more sexy and stylised. Brits ‘97 was really sexy and british, as her character in the 90’s. That’s the reason that I found Return’s very meh.
Olympics was a really well done homage. As a concept it was similar but not triying to be the same as back in the day. Same idea, different concepts.

Fun fact: did you know there was made a Union Jack dress for Geri to wear during the Spice World Tour in 1998, but she decided not to wear it. It was longer, less daring than the original one. It was a prize in a competition in the official magazine.
Are there any pics of it?
I think I remember this story vaguely but not recall seeing the dress itself.

Andreas

Are there any pics of it?
I think I remember this story vaguely but not recall seeing the dress itself.
Sadly not. There was no photo of the dress in the magazine with the competition, just a description of it. I’ll find it once I’m back in Oslo next week.

It was up for debate many times on the original DenDen forums, no new information came from it though. Which is a shame, if it went into the hands of a fan who didn’t care to look after it properly.