Chart Updates (iTunes / Spotify etc)

On a side track: Mariah Carey's fans has managed to help the soundtrack album "Glitter" to go to #1 in the US itunes album chart.
I wonder if the Spice Girls' fans will be able to do the same again, something like StoptotheTop campaign. Hahaha.

On a side track: Mariah Carey's fans has managed to help the soundtrack album "Glitter" to go to #1 in the US itunes album chart.
I wonder if the Spice Girls' fans will be able to do the same again, something like StoptotheTop campaign. Hahaha.
If you look at DenDen group, the almost 3000 core fans are spread all over the world so it will be difficult to send a SONG at the #1 in a country, like UK, where streaming has a great importance (and to lead a campaign like that u should go for DOWNLOADS). It would be easier to send an album at a higher position, that are still stronger on physical or digital sales rather than streaminf.

If you look at DenDen group, the almost 3000 core fans are spread all over the world so it will be difficult to send a SONG at the #1 in a country, like UK, where streaming has a great importance (and to lead a campaign like that u should go for DOWNLOADS). It would be easier to send an album at a higher position, that are still stronger on physical or digital sales rather than streaminf.
Totally understand, maybe we should start a ForevertotheTop campaign. LOL.

Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Greatest Hits is midweek #25 today and it looks like that could be the position it ends up at tomorrow. :D

Spice is midweek #95; I would imagine it'll fall just outside of the Top 100 for tomorrow's official chart, unfortunately!

Unfortunately I don't have a position for Spiceworld today (there's some errors in the midweeks). Fingers crossed that it holds on to the Top 200.

Streaming is a double edged weapon: it's difficult to make results if u only go for downloads, but if the GP starts to listen one song in one big Spotify playlist, or other songs in other famous playlists, or just because there is tv or radio promo like now (or Sam Smith, Dua lipa or artists like them keep on posting about the Spice Girls), this could become a great resource! Look at SYBT: thanks to streaming we have the 3rd Spice million seller, and if people keep on streaming the hits, in a not so long time Spice Up Your Life and EVEN Goodbye can crack the 1 million mark, making the Spice girls the first band EVER to have 5 singles million seller in UK!

Streaming is a double edged weapon: it's difficult to make results if u only go for downloads, but if the GP starts to listen one song in one big Spotify playlist, or other songs in other famous playlists, or just because there is tv or radio promo like now (or Sam Smith, Dua lipa or artists like them keep on posting about the Spice Girls), this could become a great resource! Look at SYBT: thanks to streaming we have the 3rd Spice million seller, and if people keep on streaming the hits, in a not so long time Spice Up Your Life and EVEN Goodbye can crack the 1 million mark, making the Spice girls the first band EVER to have 5 singles million seller in UK!
The Beatles have 6...

The Beatles have 6...
The Beatles are like UNREACHABLE with general sales and, fair to say, in the 60s there were less bands so they were, more or less, the only played band on radios ahahaha I'm joking, but there's truth to it.. there weren't much artists like in the 90s or, even worse, like today so it was easier to sell LOADS. Anyway, being second to them and be the first girl band - or female artists in general - would be an incredible achievement.

The Beatles are like UNREACHABLE with general sales and, fair to say, in the 60s there were less bands so they were, more or less, the only played band on radios ahahaha I'm joking, but there's truth to it.. there weren't much artists like in the 90s or, even worse, like today so it was easier to sell LOADS. Anyway, being second to them and be the first girl band - or female artists in general - would be an incredible achievement.

I wasn't saying it wouldn't be, it would be a fantastic achievement and I hope they do it. Was just saying they will not be the band with the most that is The Beatles.

@Jay It would be so interesting to know the updated sales records for the albums and singles. Also information for those of us who don't know much about sales on how these numbers come about. Is it actual sales versus shipments and how downloads/streams play into all of it. <3

Greatest Hits, in my opinion, should have sold like 1 million by now in the Uk like the other greatest hits albums out there, but still impressed that it still sells! Get that double platinum certification Gemm!

Greatest Hits, in my opinion, should have sold like 1 million by now in the Uk like the other greatest hits albums out there, but still impressed that it still sells! Get that double platinum certification Gemm!
the problem for the GH on release was all but 2 of the hits come from the 2 studio albums which sold over 4.5m copies. It was still pretty close to that time too, so many people would still own those albums and cds were still the main way of selling an album.

The reason the GH is doing better these days is because we are getting to a generation now where they didn't own those first 2 albums and they are streaming/downloading/buying the CD as they don't already have Spice and Spice World.

What is also helping the GH is that we are changing formats to listen to music now. The big selling GH of say Abba etc will have been purchased on tape, then CD, then download, now streaming. As the formats change new people buy a copy or old fans update the way they listen to music and re-buy a copy or stream it.

With the resurgence of vinyl these days which certainly wasn't happening in 2007, they could shift more copies again by releasing on vinyl and those who got the CD would buy it again.

I also think their catalogue isn't huge enough compare to the likes of Queen/Abba/Madonna/kylie which featured singles from handful of albums. and like you've said most people from that time already had the first two albums. While Forever and the newer songs weren't as successful as their earlier singles.

Though I also think if they had continued in 2008 and released more music, the over all sales would have been closer to 1 million by now.