Chart Updates (iTunes / Spotify etc)

I am not sure there is much appetite for a new album tbh at the moment. The Spice Girls are mainly threading on nostalgia, hence the Greatest Hits being the best output right now.

Previous iterations have shown that the public is interested in them as touring act but not as a new music-making one, and we all know their egos wont allow them to release music unless they know it will be successful. Headlines was a disaster for their standards (well, by anyone's standards really...) and Song For Her didn't really have the public asking for more. Unfortunately those songs sounded dated and poorly produced/written even by the time they came out.

I think they could potentially do well (probably not #1s but a few top 10s) if they did some actual good music that is also contemporary. Working with Matt and Biff again will only set them to 90s standards which is also not very good anymore. Whilst the 90s are trendy again, they would need to update their 90s style of music to contemporary standards if they actually want to be sucessful at all.

Having said that, I would welcome a new album - or even a new song - but I dread it will be shite. But I am willing to be proven wrong of course, and want them to do it!

If groups like All Saints and Steps could release an album and chart inside the top five, the Spice Girls can easily achieve the same thing and possibly more. Also if they released an album this year with tour bundles for the 2019 shows, the album would have been straight to #1.

But of course like in 2007, its all about touring for them...

I mean, sure they could possibly go into Top5 but surely the lack of sales from albums are a deterrant. And also, I dont think Mel C is interested at all. Time and time again she has been against the idea of recording as a group and prefers to thread on nostalgia. I don't blame her after Headlines to be honest, but whatever...

I mean, sure they could possibly go into Top5 but surely the lack of sales from albums are a deterrant. And also, I dont think Mel C is interested at all. Time and time again she has been against the idea of recording as a group and prefers to thread on nostalgia. I don't blame her after Headlines to be honest, but whatever...
Mel C is hesitant to give us new music with the group (you know something that would attract people) while she records her 8th solo album that few would buy. Also, its not like all of her albums are very good. They can create good new music. There's so many artists and groups that can deliver agood album after being in the industry for 16 years. I don't see why the Spice Girls can't do the same thing unless they don't know how to write anymore and find people that would produce good music for them.

I think you hit the nail on the head there - they dont want to, more than anything else. Or rather, Mel C and Victoria have been against the idea for a while (as evidenced by that GEM mess we saw).

I wouldnt want them to do something they are not happy doing, and clearly some of them are more interested in that than others. When it comes to record sales (or lack of them), I am happy that the girls are in a position that they can do new music or simply do what they want to do and feel comfortable doing. Clearly, Mel C and Emma continue to love doing solo music even if they dont sell like they used to. It is not just about that, although the lack of commercial success as a group has a bigger impact than as solo artists - more money lost and the 'legacy' of the group is a consideration too. Whilst as solo artists, they dont have to answer to others but themselves.

It is frustating, and I wish they (Mel C) would get over herself to be honest. I find it quite annoying how she behaves to their unreleased catalogue and the potential to do more with the group. But clearly she is only comfortable touring and that's good enough for me, as I wouldn't want her to do something that would affect her personally as it has in the past!

Stas

#43 this week (#40 on (physical?) sales chart and nowhere in top 100 on streaming chart). I guess that is another 5-6k. Quite stable at the moment.

I think you hit the nail on the head there - they dont want to, more than anything else. Or rather, Mel C and Victoria have been against the idea for a while (as evidenced by that GEM mess we saw).

I wouldnt want them to do something they are not happy doing, and clearly some of them are more interested in that than others. When it comes to record sales (or lack of them), I am happy that the girls are in a position that they can do new music or simply do what they want to do and feel comfortable doing. Clearly, Mel C and Emma continue to love doing solo music even if they dont sell like they used to. It is not just about that, although the lack of commercial success as a group has a bigger impact than as solo artists - more money lost and the 'legacy' of the group is a consideration too. Whilst as solo artists, they dont have to answer to others but themselves.

It is frustating, and I wish they (Mel C) would get over herself to be honest. I find it quite annoying how she behaves to their unreleased catalogue and the potential to do more with the group. But clearly she is only comfortable touring and that's good enough for me, as I wouldn't want her to do something that would affect her personally as it has in the past!
Gem are/were open for new music. I think Mel C is the only one against it. And first and foremost Spice Girls are a girl group who wrote their own songs, record and release their songa and I hate that they are just settling as tour artists now. This is the first time since 2008, that they are together (not just 1 day events like in 2012), in my opinion, they should create new music while they are together. They haven't released agroup studio album since 2000, the last one with Geri was back in 1997. Geri and Mel B won't get to release another solo album despite recording so many after their last solo album. I doubt Emma's album is suddenly do better than Life in Mono and thats if she even released anew album. What made me a fan of the group is their music and I would hate if they are just gonna settle with old songs, like can you imagine Kylie Minogue and Madonna just touring and not recording new songs anymore. Steps, Backstreet Boys, All Saints, Take That still create music while touring. They just can't keep performing their older songs and not make new music imo.

And new music won't tarnish their legacy even if it turned out to be bad or aflop. Forever Headlines, Voodoo, Song for Her didnt stop the public for buying stadium tour tickets.

This weeks charts:

UK:
43. (44) GREATEST HITS (Spice Girls) 26 wks
(chart-run: 69-25-72-81-54-47-44-43...)

IRELAND:
(67) 76 GREATEST HITS SPICE GIRLS VIRGIN 7 wks
(chart-run: 78-41-38-64-79-67-76...)

Other charts:

UK Airplay Chart - 28.12.2018
#100 RE Spice Girls – 2 Become 1

UK TV Airplay Chart
#12 (24) Spice Girls – 2 Become 1

Spotify Charts of 31/12/2018

UK: 141 Wannabe by Spice Girls 82,172
Austria: 173 Wannabe by Spice Girls 4,694
Australia: 152 Wannabe by Spice Girls 41,908
Belgium: 157 Wannabe by Spice Girls 8,650
Switzerland: 190 Wannabe by Spice Girls 5,908
Germany: 161 Wannabe by Spice Girls 87,732
France: 168 Wannabe by Spice Girls 50,231
Hungary: 169 Wannabe by Spice Girls 2,499
Ireland: 180 Wannabe by Spice Girls 6,158
Poland: 119 Wannabe by Spice Girls 20,369

Damn I'm so impressed with the Greatest Hits performance in the Uk Albums Chart! Imagine if they had done more promo or appearances last December.

Spotify Charts of 01/01/2019

UK: 184 Wannabe by Spice Girls 39,377
Austria: 194 Wannabe by Spice Girls 2,535
Belgium: 140 Wannabe by Spice Girls 4,815
Germany: 158 Wannabe by Spice Girls 44,561

Damn I'm so impressed with the Greatest Hits performance in the Uk Albums Chart! Imagine if they had done more promo or appearances last December.
I wish they had. Find it so odd that they do this type of promo. Like all done in a matter of days, maximum impact and then nada....:sleep:

Well its probably because they have solo priorities. Its not gonna be like in 1996 to 1998 in which they always did things as a 1 unit. And this why I'm not sure how things would be like after the tour is done. They are already not giving us new music for starters.

This weeks charts:

UK:

Official Albums Chart Top 100
52. (43) GREATEST HITS (Spice Girls) 27 wks
(chart-run: 69-25-72-81-54-47-44-43-52...)

Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40
24 (NEW) SPICE (SPICE GIRLS) UMC/VIRGIN 1wks

IRELAND:
OUT
(chart-run: 78-41-38-64-79-67-76-OUT...)