Brutally Honest - OPINION

Sandi

Has anyone read the book and what do you think of it? I read a few chapters and I love it, it's really gripping. But I did find one mistake in the book, saying Geri left the Spice girls in 1988 :D

Masterpiece

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't read it, but I listened to it. Bought the audiobook.

I think the book is honest, to the extent of what Melanie believes really happened. We'll never know, and who are we to judge? It's a point of view of what happened. Quite a nice surprise to have a chapter from Phoenix, reading it herself. Even tho is one of the saddest parts of the book, where we have an idea of how it all inflicted the children, it's also a highlight.

Really liked the experience of listening to it. It really felt like it was Mel talking to me. The actress did an excellent job, made me teary at some points. I don't know if Mel B had an input there, but if she did, EXCELLENT choice. It even sounds like Melanie at some points. Truly, excellent. No other word for it.

If you didn't get the audiobook, do it. It's worthy.

just finished the book and I did enjoy it. Some parts were hard to read because it is hard to put ourselves in the personal matters of the people we grew up with but I'm glad she did. Having been in an abusive relationship myself I very much am proud of her strength.

the Eddie Murphy chapter was very nice, and the one about her father. The ending of the ROTSG was very sad, felt so bad for her. It really does explain a lot of her behavior back then. If you noticed how she said Stephen was critical about what she looked like. Remember us all saying how glam and put together she did for a while then she all of a sudden chopped the hair off and colored it every shade imaginable. well makes sense now because he kept telling her she looked like shit, made her change her appearance to a more LA/glam type, then she ended the relationship and did whatever she wanted to erase that old controlled image.

most of the fans maybe hated the weird crazy colors and such but she was breaking away from his control. its a self empowering thing. People who haven't endured something like that have no idea what its like to be "someone else" or trapped. I'll never forget how it felt for me to be free....literally felt like invisible weight jumped off my shoulders. so liberating.

I missed the 1988 one. I found others like the age of her dad wrong (few sentences under his birth/death date), that she released Hot after the spice girls broke up (it was a month before Forever!), she says it's Bart Simpson that says "D'oh" and I spotted a typo that Melanie C was "Sport" Spice.

I liked it overall, but the back and forth timeline was very messy and confusing, I prefered Catch a Fire's way of being chronological. Stephen always rubbed me the wrong way, so I wasn't surprised about what he did to her (I had an ex who was a bit like him), but the drug addiction was a surprise to me.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't read it, but I listened to it. Bought the audiobook.

I think the book is honest, to the extent of what Melanie believes really happened. We'll never know, and who are we to judge? It's a point of view of what happened. Quite a nice surprise to have a chapter from Phoenix, reading it herself. Even tho is one of the saddest parts of the book, where we have an idea of how it all inflicted the children, it's also a highlight.

Really liked the experience of listening to it. It really felt like it was Mel talking to me. The actress did an excellent job, made me teary at some points. I don't know if Mel B had an input there, but if she did, EXCELLENT choice. It even sounds like Melanie at some points. Truly, excellent. No other word for it.

If you didn't get the audiobook, do it. It's worthy.
She auditioned the actress herself! Last month I was watching some spice videos on YouTube and randomly one of the ‘adverts’ was an advert for the brutally honest audiobook and shows Mel B and her friend auditioning the actresses. I’m sure it would be on YouTube. The actress has done a fair bit of UK TV actually.

I bought the audiobook too. I'm glad because the back in forth in timelines does sound confusing if you read it lol. I definitely have a new found respect for her, knowing how much she went through and why she chose to make a lot of the decisions she made. I want to buy the physical book now just have as a keepsake.

I finished reading it a couple of days ago. It was uncomfortable to read at times because of how crude it was. I remember that after the X factor finale with the bruises and stuff I tweeted her saying she needed to dump that abuser and she (well, obviously he) blocked me.
But what worries me the most about these cases of women who stay with abusers, is the kids. I know she's a victim of his manipulation and all of that, but she made life hell for her daughters and even had one with him. The effects all that abuse will have on the kids will be devastating

I like the way this book was written: close and honest, but personally, as a content I prefer “Catch Of Fire”.
There are some parts which are uncomfortable about her personal details which, in my opinion, are not neccesary.